You’ve come to the right place if you’re looking for an easy, frugal meal that kids will love. Just be prepared for kids to request this one over and over.
Cheesy Tuna Burgers
- 1 can tuna, drained
- 2 Tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 Tablespoons dill pickle relish (you can use sweet relish if you prefer)
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
- 6-8 hamburger buns
Mix all ingredients together (except hamburger buns). Stir until well blended. Tear off pieces of aluminum foil large enough to wrap each bun in (one for each bun). Spread mixture on buns and wrap each in foil. Place on cookie sheet and bake 30 minutes in preheated 250 degree oven. Serve warm – yummy!
A couple of tips:
- I’ve skipped the cookie sheet in the past and places foil-wrapped buns directly in the oven. As long as they’re sealed up you shouldn’t have any mess.
- If your kids don’t like hard-boiled eggs, you can grate them instead of chopping. This makes them so small they probably won’t even realize they are there!
- These are great to throw in a lunchbox – they taste good even when cold.
- You can throw any leftovers into the refrigerators for reheating later.
This is such an easy recipe and kids love it. As you can see from the photos, I’m not generally brand loyal since I’m a frugal girl and always looking to stretch the grocery budget.