Life seems to be moving faster every day. Most of us feel that the lack of time is our biggest problem. Even if your life is jam-packed and moving at warp speed, here are a few tips to help you keep your home and family organized and make keep things humming along a little more smoothly.
This post contains affiliate links. Should you make a purchase, I make a small commission at no extra charge to you.
- Keep a canvas bag close to the door and train family members to deposit library books there for easy return.
- When you order something online, jot down the confirmation number, expected date of delivery, and any other reference information in your planner or digital calendar.
- Use Cozi.com or another online service to send reminders to family members about birthdays, special occasions, etc.
- Create a “command center” in the kitchen or other designated place where family members will see it. Train everyone that this is the place to leave each other notes, to add items to the grocery list, check the calendar, etc.
- Life is easier when things are scheduled. Before you leave the dentist, doctor, or hair salon, go ahead and schedule your next appointment. Don’t forget to write it down or put it in your phone.
- Your house also runs more smoothly when things are scheduled. i.e. “My laundry Monday”, “Towel Tuesday, “Sheets on Saturday”.
- Menu planning is easier if you plan to have the same type of meat on a specific date each week. At our house it’s “chicken Monday”, “hamburger Tuesday”, etc.
- Learn when the online grocery ads for your favorite stores come out. Make an appointment to check these ads on the first day of the sales week so you can schedule trips to stock up on bargains. However, keep your storage space in mind. It’s not a bargain if it ruins because you can’t find it when you need it or because it’s past its expiration date.
- Use bins in your freezer to organize meats by type, veggies, etc. This makes it easier to put things up when you come in from the grocery store and also makes it easier to see what you’re getting low on.
- Designate a special place or basket in your home for lost items to be deposited. This way everyone knows where to go look when something goes missing.
[bctt tweet=”Good organization can help keep home and family running like a well-oiled machine.” username=”@sasmerchant”]
And if you need a way to simplify your digital life, check out Why You Need to Have an Email System For Your House. Sherry at Beautiful Southern Life has a great idea to help you stay on top of the priority emails that must be tended to regularly. I wish I’d thought of this system!
What’s your best tip for making your life run more smoothly?